We are proud to present our fifth annual Corporate Social Responsibility Report, which reports on the fifth full year of mining operations at the Bisha Mine in Eritrea. Through Nevsun Resources (Eritrea) Ltd., an indirect, wholly-owned subsidiary, Nevsun owns 60% of the Bisha Mine. The Eritrean National Mining Corporation owns the remaining 40%.

This report demonstrates our commitment to providing transparent disclosure of our sustainable economic, social, and environmental practices and performance. It is prepared to the Sustainability Reporting Guidelines of the Global Reporting Initiative (GRI). This is the third year in which we have reported to the standards of the GRI’s G4 framework. This report applies the Core criteria, plus the Mining and Metals Sector Supplementary criteria and twelve ‘comprehensive’ General Standard Disclosures relating to governance and sustainability stewardship. At the end of this report, the G4 Content Index provides the complete list of disclosures and where the details can be found.

This report covers the calendar year ended December 31, 2015. Over the year, there were no corporate entity changes in operations, and therefore no changes to the content or scope of this report, compared to the previous year’s report.

While we did not seek independent third-party assurance for this report, its content was prepared and reviewed by management for its accuracy and consistency in data collection methods, corporate policies, and protocols. We made every effort to verify data and the factual contents of this Report, but note that all non-financial performance figures and economic indicator calculations are unaudited.

All reporting related to human rights was assessed and reviewed by an independent third party (in respect of the Bisha Mine Human Rights Impact Assessment).

Defining Report Content – Material Issues

This report discusses those CSR topics and issues that have been identified as the most material to our stakeholders. To determine these topics, we periodically undertake materiality assessments, in which we survey stakeholders to determine the topics and priorities of greatest interest.

In 2015, we undertook a comprehensive materiality assessment to gather input from our key internal stakeholder groups:

  • the State of Eritrea
  • our workforce
  • community liaison officers
  • BMSC employees

We also gathered external feedback through ongoing stakeholder engagement with:

  • local communities
  • the Government of Canada
  • resident foreign ambassadors in Eritrea
  • the United Nations
  • Non-government organizations (NGOs)
  • shareholders

To prioritize the material issues in this report, we considered the stakeholder input from the materiality assessments, as well as the feedback received on previous CSR reports, plus generally accepted industry practices and GRI guidelines. We continually monitor regulatory and policy trends and developments, as well as media coverage.


Aspect Boundaries – Where Impacts Occur

Different stakeholders, or groups of stakeholders, may be affected by each of the ‘material’ issues. In discussions of the material aspects, we describe whether these topics have impacts within our organization, or whether they are believed to have effects that extend outside of the organization—for example, to local communities, our contractors, and/or investors. In this Report, we describe the boundaries of these material aspects. We also provide aspect boundary coding in the Content Index.